Target Age: Elementary School 5 to Adults
Target English: Countries, Geography.
Here's a follow up to the very popular Genki English Animals Card Game. This time we've upped the level for higher grade kids to learn about countries in a very fun and addictive way. If you're not sure of the rules of the game, have a look at the animation on the animals card game page.
Anyone can download the demo page of cards:
And if you're a CD Owners Club Member you can download all four pages of cards by clicking any picture below.
First of all go through how to say the words on the cards such as "Area", "GDP" etc. and make sure the kids have studied the meanings already!
1. Deal the cards out between the players. Between 2 and 4 players is best. Simply print out extra sets for each group in the class i.e. around 8 sets for a class of 30.
2. Janken to see who goes first.
3. The first player (A) chooses a category and says that category plus the statistic mentioned on the card. e.g. "GDP $10,000"
4. If the opponents (B) card's value is less than this value they give their card to person A. Person A then puts this card and their own top card to the bottom of their pack and repeat from 3.
5. If persons B's value is higher. They take the card from person A and along with their top card they put it at the bottom of their pile. They then choose the next value to call and repeat.
6. When one person loses all their cards, they are out!
7. If anyone speaks anything other than English then their opponent can take their top card!
If you're still not sure how to play it, check out this online version against the computer!
That's it, very simple but fiendishly addictive. I used to play this game as a kid and loved it. It takes a bit of time, but once you get the kids going they'll be playing it in their lunch breaks, especially the boys!
If you find any mistakes in the cards then please let me know!
Sign up to get my top tips, games & hints via email!