The best ideas from Japan...
Games to Math FUN!Main Menu - About the site - Contact
This is a method of counting how many points teams
have in a game. It is similar to the Ski
Game or the Banana Tree
1. Draw a "race track" on the board from right to left. Have two lanes and several "markers" along the track (eight markers will last about 20 minutes).
2. Have two cut out race cars and place them on the start line. The two cars should be two different colours (e.g. red and blue)
3. Assign the kids to either red or blue teams. (A good way is by starting with the kid at the near left corner of the room and saying "you are blue". Then "You are red" to the next kid, etc.)
4. Say "Red team stand up". Just to make sure everyone remembers what team they're on!
5 Play some music and pass a ball around to select a student ( see the Banana Tree Game )
6. If they are correct their car moves one space along the track towards the finish.
This is a fun game, especially if you make racing car zooming noises when the cars move or overtake (or even use a music keyboard if it has the sounds built in!!!!)
If time is getting short then make each question worth 2 points instead of one.
If you like this idea, please tell your friends!