! ESL EFL English site for elementary school kids, with free MP3 songs, games and teacher training >
Page in Japanese
Here is a great idea sent in by a Genki English viewer. Try it out and
let us know what you think!
If you have a great idea please share it with everyone by submitting it to this page! Or check out the main Genki English Games Page
Or if you'd like to know when this page is updated, have a look at the RSS Updates page!
author: Josh Katz
level: Junior High
target_english: Q&A w/ 3rd person POV (does he, can he, is his favorite) & nouns in a category
For the "does" version (please adapt it to suit your needs):
1. Give everyone a piece of paper.
2. On the front they write their name, on the back they write something. In my game, it was 3 foods they like the most.
3. Have the student switch with the person next to him/her.
4. Make a time limit.
5. Now, everyone stands up and makes a pair (never pairing with the person who has their own card).
6. They show the name to their partner.
7. The partner then guesses one food, "Does he like sushi?" noting the gender of the name on the card!
8. The partner says "yes, he does" or "no, he doesn't."
9. If the person guesses right, he should write that person's name down, so as not to return to this person.
10. At the end, everyone counts up the number of people who's preferences they guessed correctly, and the highest-scoring person / people is / are the best.
If you use thin paper, the kids will be able to see through it. Another way to do this, if you don't have thick paper, is have the kids memorize the 3 things. Then writing on the front and back may be unnecessary.
Some categories have a TON of items in them. You may consider having students guess twice, or having students write down more or less preferences, depending on the category. And for example, if it's colors, perhaps they should choose just one favorite.
You might think about collecting everyone's papers and passing them out at random. But if they switch with the person next to them, this is the ONLY person they cannot pair up with. It's simpler this way.
If you have a great idea please share it with everyone by submitting it to this page!
Or check out the main Genki English Games Page
Sign up to get my top tips, games & hints via email!