! ESL EFL English site for elementary school kids, with free MP3 songs, games and teacher training >
This Page in Japanese
Here is a great idea sent in by a Genki English viewer. Try it out and
let us know what you think!
If you have a great idea please share it with everyone by submitting it to this page! Or check out the main Genki English Games Page
Or if you'd like to know when this page is updated, have a look at the RSS Updates page!
author: Roger in Imakane
Preparation: Set of flash cards with the numbers to be learnt / reviewed
This is a dead easy game to teach numbers / money handling / counting
I often have fun saying "Who will be rich today? ... Who will be poor?" (obviously some Japanese required for this)
You also need a set of play money for the "fun element". They just love the play money and don't want to stop this game
1. Teach the numbers (ie 1-12, 1-20, 1-31 etc.)
2. Get the kids to choose any 4 numbers and write them down on a piece of paper.
3. Write on the board 1st Card =$10, 2nd Card =$8, 3rd Card =$5, 4th Card = $4 etc etc
(you can choose the $$ amount according to the level)
4. You shuffle your flash cards and get the kids to janken to draw the 1st card
5. Ask the student "What is this?".
6. They answer with the number that is written on the card ( e.g. "5")
7. Any student who has this number on their list, gets $10 ( as the 1st Card = $10 )
8. For the next card, the student answers and if anyone has the number on their list, they would get $8 ( see step 3) etc. etc, ..
9. At the end (or even half way though) say "Please count your money" and get them to write how much money they have on the board.
10. Find out who is rich!
It's a lot of fun, I have found this to be the easiest way to teach numbers and the most fun. It can be easily used to teach / review the alphabet too. It seems reasonably authentic looking money really makes a big difference.
This game can also be used for high levels even adult classes
For higher levels you can ask "do you have 5?" at point 4
Or make out you've run out of $1 notes and change 5 1$ notes for 1 $5 note etc
Roger in Imakane
For this game I included negative numbers, and it was a big hit with my fourth graders. Its funny to hear the "aww!"s run across the room when they get a negative number.
If you have a great idea please share it with everyone by submitting it to this page!
Or check out the main Genki English Games Page
Sign up to get my top tips, games & hints via email!